Monday, December 8, 2008

days off ?!

readers,

it has been approx. 2 weeks I did not post anything.

during this time I have been 9 days in France and now I am on the rig performing a so called " high profile" job. I will come back to this one in a dedicated post.

In my previous posts, I was discussing the feeling of being a stranger at home when a field engineer is going back home for some days off.
I have to come back on my words.
This time, I did not get this feeling. Maybe because I was falling in a kind of routine just before and I just needed to clear my mind. All in all, it was nice to stay at home just relaxing.

it lead me to think about a general idea that I often hear : Schlumberger is giving a lot of money to field engineer. Certainly! if you look at your salary statement at the end of the month.

but .... come back a little bit and wonder yourself . a salary is always put face to face with working time.

I have to admit and none of my coworkers will refute this,when you work as a field engineer, it is not a 8h/day job, nor a 35h/week job. it is a 24h/day job.
This position is really taking you mind and body. it just needs a total investment of yourself.

As I use to say, nothing is free in this life. there is a kind of balance, if you gain something on one side, you can be sure that you will loose something in the other one.
you will understand that having a good salary implies many things that I will let you discover by yourself.

knowing this, all the problem can be sum up as your own policy : what are you able to do in order to achieve your personal goals?
what can you put in the other side of the balance?

in other words , what is your limit?
R
PS : don't believe people who said that "sky is your limit"

1 comment:

Seda said...

Dear Raffik Senpai

It depends on your location I think. There is a guy in our class from Norway, he said they are not allowed to work more than 12 hours a day, and they still get the same money ;) he said life is expensive in Norway, but the salary is still more than enough, so in that sense I guess you are not lucky about the location. If you are in a location that takes care of rights of an employee, you will do your job very happily.

With this new year, I am wishing that all the locations will be able to give a standard quality of living to their employees.

Akemashite omedetou gozaimasu, kotoshi mo douzo yoroshiku onegaishimasu. :)

(congratulations for the new year, also please next year (actually I can not translate it directly to English, the second part has a meaning like let's keep on the next year, if you are a colleague keep on good work together, if you are a friend, keep on friendship together, and things like that....)