Monday, July 7, 2008

my first time offshore

Readers

it was my first time offshore.
the rig was a jack-up. for those who don't know what is it, try to imagine a triangle with 40 meters side length suspended by 3 legs which are put on the sea bed.


My arrival on board was "relatively" exciting. I had to jump from the swelly boat to a small basket with all my luggages and I was lifted among the sea to finally arrived on the deck. I am sure even action man would feel jealous. ;-)

The first contact ever with such a work environment was full of action...

After "landed" and did my first steps in the unknown place like armstrong on the moon fifty years back, I had to cross the jack up to see the rig superintendant.

It was smoky, noisy and the smell was very bad. An oxygen bottle and a massive pair of ear plug would have been more than welcome.
Just time to enter the accomodation area and climbs the 4 levels with my heavy bags. After exchanging few informations with the boss, I had to go to my room which is located 3 levels below, still with my bags....


If you have to go offshore, take only the minimum of the minimum , of the minimum.

It become more true when you will look at the accomodation provided. It is like a submarine.

after a quick chat with my coworkers I tried to sleep in this bed fitted for people less than 1m70.

I was dreaming that the jack up was slowly sinking in the sea and my room starting to be flooded by water. I woke up and was surprised to see that it was not a dream and we were effectively sinking. Before totally sinking, my first survival instinct was to power my laptop and write this post.

at the end, I want to tell thank you to all my frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdgfhrtsjdjmdcfdczgbtreahm

No comments: